Email The Family
If you are connected to this family, do please
If you know of a family member, email them a link.
Childs family history
<<< Previous Page
Next Page >>>
Click download to read history
For ten years and more we have been interested in finding out more of the family tree going backwards and have an extensive family tree. We had no co-operation from previous generations which stopped us dead for years. We are also very intersted in the Warren background/Bird/Goldsmith
There appeared to be two distinct Childs families in Cornwall in the 1800's. One based in and around Madron Penzance, Artisans, shopkeepers, printers, tailors, lodging house keepers etc
The other based in Liskeard, these were Solicitors, Attorneys, Ministers of the Church etc These Childs appear to have originated in Melbury Osmomd in Dorset.
David Child b 1727 is the first recorded member of our family in Penzance, although we have no confirmation that he was born in the county, he married twice , his first wife Jane Booth again there is no evidence that she was born in Cornwall his second Marriage in 1800 was to Mary Hosken his 2nd set of children with Mary were known as Childs with an 's'.
Joseph Childs is the first recorded member born in Liskeard in 1776 his father also Joseph married a Miss Huddlesdon, there is no record of his birth place. Joseph jnr married Anne Borlese from a very well known family in Cornwall. He was from the Childs of Melbury Osmond.
On early Census sheets various members of the Liskeard side were living in Penzance so there may have been a connection originating in Dorset.
As featured in "Who do You Think You Are" US version
John Child, David Child senior's son was a Mariner he
married Jane Tonkin in Falmouth in 1797
He died 7.10.1831 in Penzance aged 67 yrs
The couple had a son Thomas Tonkin Child b 25.7.1802 and a daughter Dorothy b 27.1.1805
Dorothy married Ralph Sheldon KINDLEY in Bath Somerset on 5th Nov 1826 ( witnesses John and Ann Childs) who owned the Tarbert Hotel Clarence Street. He had married a Sarah Holley in 1824 in Stepney London, there was one son Ralph Holley Kindley born 1825. Sarah was buried on 2nd Oct 1825 in Stepney London and Ralph was baptised on 4th Dec 1825 in Stepney after his mother's death.
"The Hotel is part of a Georgian Terrace of houses which were originally built in 1830 by Harrods Investment Corporation as homes for the Merchant Sea Captains who sailed the world in search of exotic goods for Harrod's discerning clientele. The original owner, Ralph Sheldon Kindly died at sea of fever in October 1840 on a passage between the coast of Africa and New York in his quest for such treasures according to a document deposited with the New York Public Administrator ."
The couple had three daughters Jane Childs Kindley born 1826 and Dorothy Childs Kindley born 1828 and Kate born 1830. As there do not appear to be any official birth records the girls may have been born at sea. Dorothy Childs Kindley's burial is recorded on 1st March 1833 in Devonport Plymouth, she was residing in Barrack Street.
In 1834 Ralph married Jane Berryman in Madron, she was from a very long established Cornish family, They had three sons, Arthur , Christopher and William. Christopher Sheldon Kindley a Commercial Clerk was going to be tried for embezzelment in Plymouth on 2.07.1870 but he died on 29 June 1870. On the 1851 census widow Jane was running a lodging house at 22 North Parade Penzance. William emigrated to New Zealand before 1861 and died in 1913 in Dunedin. He married in 1877 aged 38 and had three sons Sheldon Whyman Kindley, Arthur B Kindley and William G Kindley.
Ralph's three daughters from his marriage to Dorothy appear to have been taken in by the Childs family apart from Jane born 1826 who was living with Jane Kindley of independant means and her half brothers in Clarence Street on the 1841 Census.. There is no trace of his son by his first marriage to Sarah Holley, perhaps he was adopted or went into the workhouse with a change of name.
On the 1841 census Kate Kindley aged 10 was staying with her grandmother Jane Childs in North Parade. Jane Childs Kindley in 1850 married John Sandow a gold digger / tin miner in Madron. There were six children. In 1871 she was the Post Mistress in Uny Lelant Penzance and head of household. She died in 1889 in Plymouth.There is one record of Dorothy marrying a William Penrose in Redruth in June 1848 in the Registry Office, she was around 17 years of age and must have been pregnant. William Penrose aged 33 sailed to Australia NSW in 1848 and arrived in Port Phillip on 18th August on the 'Cheapside' on assisted passage. The baptism of a daughter to Dorothy Childs Kindley and Wm Penrose was recorded on 21 Jan 1849 in Adelaide S Australia, (where Catherine K married Charles Bifield Brown) baby's name was Catherine Ellen Penrose. Her death was recorded on 25.01.1849
Two marriages were announced for the 22nd June in the West Briton & Cornwall Advertiser
At the Registrar's Office, Redruth, to Saturday last, MR. W. PENROSE, builder, to DOROTHY, second daughter of the late CAPT. R. S. KINDLEY, of Penzance.
Penzance; on the 22nd, MR. J. RICHARDS, of Truro, to KATE, youngest daughter of the late CAPT. R. S. KINDLEY, of Penzance.
There are no official records to substantiate these marriages
J Richards is very difficult to trace - there appear to be three 'John Richards' born and living in Truro on the 1851 Census. One a carpenter, one a rail labourer and one a waterman. All were married.
Dorothy and her sister Kate set sail for Australia alone, both were underage being 17 and 19 years old. Both were registered on the passenger lists in their maiden names KINDLEY. Dorothy must have been heavily pregnant throughout the voyage as she gave birth to a baby daughter soon after arrival. It is unknown whether she ever met up again with William Penrose. Perhaps the announcements of the marriages in the newspaper were a scam as possibly underage girls could not travel alone unless they were married or accompanied by an adult.
Catherine Ellen Penrose
Baptism/Christening Date: 21 Jan 1849
Baptism/Christening Place: St. Paul's, Port Adelaide, South Australia, Australia
Father's Name: William Penrose
Mother's Name: Dorothy Kindley
KINDLEY Catherine, Dorothy C arrived in Australia on 5.12.1848 aboard 'Baboo' from London 08-24 via Plymouth [Source:4(W FREEBODY),6,7,20(W.B. BROWN)] the reference also is the book written by Wm Bifield Brown
Catherine married William Bifield Brown a couple of years after arrival. No trace of Mr J Richards of Truro the man she supposedly married in Cornwall
A bit more about William Bifield Brown he was baptized 21 Sept 1828, parents Mary Anne [nee Bifield] and Charles Brown, at St Nicholas Chiswick,
As their son Charles Childs Brown's baptism was recorded (Bishop's Transcript of Chiswick parish) Oct 9th 1853 at Hammersmith (father's occupation, builder) the Brown's must have come back to the UK.
According to the 1861 census of Canada William Bifield Brown and Catherine [Childs] Brown and their son Charles Childs Brown are living in Carleton, W Canada.
THE STORY HAS BEEN FEATURED ON "WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE " US version in April 2012
THE STORY OF EDIE FALCO ACTRESS
What the program said:
Charles Childs Brown was a newspaper editor married 4 times, first married to Mary Megrath div. 1877 - they had a son George Megrath [Brown] born c1875, EDIE FALCO, the actress is descended from him. He married again and 2 children and was divorced, he married again and was divorced, then married for the final time dying in 1899 in Duluth.
According to a newspaper clipping Catherine [Childs] Brown is listed dies intesteate Jan 1905 with 4 grandchildren from her son Charles Childs Brown who had predeceased her.
I also found some more info about Dorothy she was on ancestry.co.au - under Dorothy Ann Penrose. She must have renamed herself "Annie" as the birth certificate of her son John Ernest Grenwald (which posted on ancestry) shows her as Annie Grenwald formerly Penrose formerly Kindley
Wm Penrose must die too and it appears she has a number of relationships with men (1 of whom she marries) who were not just her husband,
for example: a child with William Freebody, called ? Freebody b. 1850;
a child with Thomas Boland: ? Boland b. 1852;
a son with Edward Haynes: Edward Admella Kindley Haynes b. 23 Apr 1860, d 9 Nov 1860;
marries ship operator Charles William Grenwald circa. 1862 issue: Charles William 1862 - ?; John Ernest 2 Feb 1867 - 10 Oct 1934 and Agnes 10 Jun 1871, d 5 Feb 1872
With very many thanks to Alexandra Brooks for helping with the research and providing extra details and information
The voyage to Australia
A Blog set up after the US TV programme.......
click to view
Wm Penrose the father of Dorothy's child arrived 18.08.1848
Ralph Sheldon Kindley death 1840
Tarbert Hotel Penzance
Charles 28 Brewery Clerk
Edith 26 ( married 3 years )
A young married couple as boarders Alice 28 and Albert Cowell 25 - Sorting Clerk Telegraphic
The two famililies occupying 4 rooms at 14, Plumpton St Wakefield
Why the move from Dudley to Wakefield? ? There was a connection. Sister Lillian was there with husband Tom and in - laws nearby
Tom Smith 31 Shopkeeper (furniture)
Lillian nee Childs 29 ( married under 2 years ) Charles' sister
Phyllis Mary 10 months
Living - Willow Ten, Industrial Street Wakefield
Wiiliam Smith 70 Retired Post Office Pensioner Lillian's in-laws
Mary Ann 66
Living 4 Howard St Wakefield
William Henry Childs 30
Asylum Attendant - Rubery Hill & Hollymoor Lunatic Asylum Birmingham
David John Childs 40 Compositor Printing Works ( mother Elizabeth A Matthews )
Sarah Elizabeth 36 ( married 17 years)
Charles Vincent 16 Railway Porter ( died aged 18 - 1913 )
Flora Elizabeth 11 ( died aged 26 - 1926 )
Living 101 Station Road Langley Green Oldbury
Edith Childs of Kelmscott Oxlea Road Torquay
Died 2.09.1940 at Limefield Nursing Home Torquay
Executors Charles Childs Company Director - Dudley Childs Accountnat
Why did John Childs move his family and Tailor's business to Dudley? Possibly because it was an area with new money and men were eagar to have a new Sunday suit made or was there a family connection?
Another Childs family who originated in Pensax Worcs are listed on census sheets and we wonder if this is a mis spelling or a coincidence?
A branch of the Childs family born in Penzance , David born 1801, had moved to St Marylebone London by 1830 Son of David Child(s) and Mary Hosken married Parthenia Letter 1826 from Hampstead. He was a plumber, painter and decorator employing men. The couple had seven children - William, David, Henry, John, Thomas, Emily and Anne
Will dated 7.09.1870 David Childs formerly of 14 Duke Street Portland Place but late of Bushey Hertfordshire died 28 May 1870 effects of under £3000 to Perthenia Childs of Limes Villa Bushey.
The surname also spelt Childs, Child, Childe and Chyld is one of the oldest English family names, the Progenitor was probably a Saxon Chief who assumed the name toward the end of the Saxon domination in England. After the Norman Conquest some of the Family took the Latinized French form of L'Enfant for some generations and several of that name were concerned in the conquest of Ireland in the Reign of Henry lll , and in the government of the country in the 12th century. Others had seats at various places in Worcestershire and at Shrewbury, England.
Richard Le Childe was Lord Mayor of the Manor of Northwick in 1320 and was succeeded by his sons William and Thomas, and Grandson of Thomas Le Childe who was the High Sheriff for the county in 1428.
The word Childe has had the following meanings from which the surname Child originated. Childe was originally a title given to Norse, French, and English Kings during the 4th through the 10th centuries. It was also a title given to the eldest son or to heirs and finally, it was a title given to young nobles awaiting knighthood during the 13th and 14th centuries
There were many different Childe families in England, with the addition of the title Childe, or le Childe to their first names. These Childe families are not related to each other, being descendants of different young nobles, and are found in most counties of England. Many of the younger sons who received no inheritance found it necessary to look for work elsewhere. They often crossed county borders to work for someone else until they were able to purchase their own land and property.
The Child Family Motto is 'Imitare Quam Invidere ' which means Imitate Rather than Envy.
When Child became Childs in our family
An 's' was added to the family name in 1788
when David Child Jnr (born 12 APR 1760)
married Joan(na) Perryman possibly to distinguish himself from his father
He was a carpenter and in 1841 aged 81 the couple were living in South Terrace Penzance with their daughter Grace and her husband John Heath who was a Mariner.
David and Joanna both died in 1844.
THE MYSTERY OF THE CHILD(S)
The following persons all have David Child or David Childs listed as their father
David Child born 1727 - married Jane Booth 1755 - died 1820 aged 93
William Child 1756
David Child 1760 Married Joanna Perryman 1788
John Child 1764 Died 7.10.1831
Jane Child 1766
Children of David Child(s) b 1760
Grace Childs 1790
Mary Childs 1795
Elizabeth Childs 1795 twins
Jane Childs 1797
William Childs 1798
John Childs 1799 married Ann died 1869
David Child Senior Widower - married 2nd wife Mary Hoskin (Hosken) 17.3.1800
3 possible baptisms of Mary Hoskin in Madron (supplied by Peter & Jo)
1 Mar 1776 father Martin
17 Mar 1776 father James
1 Dec 1776 father Thomas
Stephen Child Hoskin 1800 born 23.02.1800 ( A month before his mother married )
David Childs 1801*
Grace Jeffrey Childs 1802 Jeffrey being Mary Hoskin's grandmother's name
Elizabeth Childs 1803
Mary Childs 1805
John Childs 1808 married Maria Eastaway (2nd wife) - moved to Dudley
First wife possibly Elizabeth - a baby Elizabeth Childs was born in 1836 (died in childbirth?)
* David Childs moved to London and ran a Painting & Plumbing Business he had 7 children none of whom appeared to have moved back to Cornwall
From these statistics it is presumed that Mary Hoskin was much younger than David Child Senior she gave birth to Stephen Child Hosken (Hoskin) a month before she was married
There appear to be two Mary Hoskins ( Hoskens) born 1776 in the Madron records
David Child Senior Widower aged 73 years
Marriage to Mary Hosken (Hoskin)
It appears that the couple started a new family
and had six children. David died aged 93 yrs
Madron Parish Records
Madron Parish Church
John Childs born 1799 died 1869
The family always lived in Cornwall Terrace at various numbers
John Childs 40 Assessor - Cornwall Terrace
Ann Childs 45 Wife
Martha Bryant Childs 12 (niece on all census sheets)
Mary Jane Childs 10
Thomas Childs 9
Margaret Childs 8
Dorothy Kindly 12
Ann Cook 25 Female Servant
Jane Childs 69 North Parade Independent means
Elizabeth Childs 20
Kate Kindley 10
(Jane often had a grandaughter staying with her on various census sheets)
no 83,Cornwall Terrace,John Childs,Head,M,52,,Proprietor Of Houses,
,,Ann Childs,Wife,M,,54,,Penzance Cornwall,,
,,Mary Jane Childs,Dau,U,,20,,Bath Somerset,,
,,Martha B.Childs,Niece,U,,22,Mariner's Daughter,Penzance Cornwall,,
- Martha worked in a Drapers shop
Ann Childs' maiden name was Leigh her brother was Richard born 1797 here is the story of his son (Ann's nephew) James Myn Leigh
On the 1871 Census Richard Leigh 73 Widower was staying with Ann 68 Widow who was described as 'paralized'
James Mayn Leigh, Tobacconist & Wholesaler (1820-1871) J.M. Leigh Token Penny Source: Museum Victoria James Mayn Leigh was born in Penzance, Cornwall and arrived in Sydney on the China as a Bounty Immigrant in 1841, aged 21. On arriving in Sydney he worked for Hugh Dixson, tobacconist. In 1848 he married Maria Catherine McKaeg at Scots Presbyterian Church. In December 1849 Leigh began trading as a tobacconist at 524 George Street East, Sydney. He moved to number 137 in 1854 and added wine retailing to his business. His tokens have the 524 address on them, so they must have been struck between 1851 and 1854. When the street was re-numbered in 1858 his address became 282/284 George Street, possibly indicating that Leigh had enlarged his store in the same year. Leigh's was still trading at the same address in 1861. In 1861 Leigh formed a partnership with John Watkins and established a wholesale grocers, tobacconists and wine merchants at 422 George Street under the name of Watkins and Leigh. The business at 284 George Street continued as J.M. Leigh and Co. In the May 1861 editions of the Sydney Morning Herald, he advised 'Wholesale Buyers' that 'The undersigned have REDUCED the wholesale prices of tobacco and cigars - J.M. Leigh & Co.' The business was listed at the same address until 1865. Leigh was honorary treasurer of the Intercolonial Cricket Match Committee and was a committee member of the NSW Rifle Association. In 1862 he was a director of the Pacific Fire and Marine Insurance Company, Pitt Street, Sydney and in 1863 he became a member of the provisional committee for the Sydney Gas Company. In 1864 he was elected as chairman of the committee for the All-England Eleven cricket tour to be held in March 1865. The Leighs moved permanently to England in 1867 and by 1870 Leigh was advertising in London newspapers as an importer of Australian wines under the name of Leigh & Apps, 37 Walbrook, London and later at 150 Fenchurch Street. James and his wife moved to Dublin, Ireland where he died in 1875. Maria died there in 1881. References: May, T (1988). 'Tokens of George Street,' in 'Australian Numismatist', (Special Bicentennial Edition), pp. 21-36. Samson's National Directory of New South Wales for 1867-1868. Sydney Directories in the State Library of Victoria collection, 1851-1870. Advertisement. Sydney Morning Herald. 17 May 1861. p.6.
John Childs 1843 , printer, married Elizabeth Anne Matthews from Gulval Cornwall in 1868 in Dudley, the couple went to Dudley with the family and had a son David John in 1870, he died in Oldbury 1950 - Elizabeth Anne died of Consumption on 27.10.1874 and John went on to marry Phillis Gill on 15.06.1875
Elizabeth was one of six siblings, Richard, John, Thomas, Susannah and Catherine
Elizabeth's sister Susannah Matthews married John Weekes Maddell ( a grocer from Penzance) in Dudley in 1870, perhaps the two sisters went together with the Childs to Dudley?
Elizabeth's niece Susan Jane Matthews daughter of brother Thomas married Frederick Arthur
and went to the USA to live she died in 1953 in Washington.
John Childs went to work at the Dudley Herald after working on a newspaper in Penzance
Phillis died in 1925 in Wakefield Yorkshire aged 79
On the 1911 Census she was a widow 65, living with her daughter Dora in Ilkley
Thanks to various contributors to the site.
Pigot's Directory 1844
Tailors and Woollen Drapers Registered in Penzance
Billen[?] James, Parade st
Bonner John Cobbett, North st
Childs John, Chapel st
Cook Samuel, East st
Cowley John, East st
Daniel James, East st
Gawn Richard, Alverton st
Hewett Richard, Alverton st
Kingston William, East st
Matthews Richard, Queen st
Pascoe Francis, Alverton st
Paul William, North st
Richards Alexander, North st
Rogers Robert, Alverton st
Rogers William, Queen st
John Childs not listed as having a Fancy Repository in 1844
Gentry and Clergy
Mr John Childs Cornwall Terrace Tax Collector (1844)
Chapel Street. 1864
1. Alexander Hampton, Confectioner.
2. John Kinsman, Bookseller.
3. John Tonkin Cocking & Son, Hatters. (see Advt.) The advertisement says 4 Chapel Street
4. William Hosken Richards, Auctioneer, &c. (see Advt.)
4. Edward Paddy, Printer and Bookseller.
John Tonkin Cocking & Son, Hatters. (see Advt.)
5. John Basset, Shoemaker.
6. Mrs. Mollard, Fancy Drapery Establishment. (see Advt.)
7. Edward Lavin, Mineralogist. (London and South Western Bank.)
8. Henry Coulson Cornish, Corn merchant.
" John Childs", Tailor and Outfitter.
9. William Henry Penhaligon, Hairdresser, &c.
John Childs (born 1808) the great great grandfather of today's older Childs generation was listed in the 1856 Kelly's Trade Directory for Penzance. He was registered at no 7 Chapel Street with his family and had a Tailors Shop plus a 'Fancy Repository' (warehouse) in the street. Although the Census pages state the Parish was Madron, part of West Ward, Chapel Street is actually in Penzance itself leading down to the quay. By 1871 he had moved some of his family north to Dudley in Worcestershire. (Daughter Maria went to work in Somerset she married in Penzance in 1862 to Alexander G Budden a baker from Chard, they remained in Somerset )
John and his wife Maria Eastaway had six children. Maria, Sarah Jane, John, David, Mary & William
Within twenty years he had retired back to Penzance to 15 South Terrace a stone's throw from Chapel Street to run a lodging house, near to where his wife's family the Eastaways, who had been running a lodging house since 1871 at 1 Cornwall Terrace. (Perhaps a property that was in the Childs family ?) William Henry moved to London, married Alice Martha Nicholls in 1882 and brought up his family there.
Description of Penzance circa 1850
SINCE 1825 many new streets and terraces have been built. South Terrace was the only row immediately in front of the sea. In 1826 Marine Terrace was begun, and was at first inhabited by masons, carpenters, and small tradesmen; the idea of lodging houses in such a locality would at that time have been considered absurd. The Mount's Bay House, Queen's Hotel, and Mineral Shop adjoining the hotel are much more recent, having been erected within the last twenty years. A Mr. Burt built the middle part of the Baths about 1840; there was then no Promenade in front of it, and the house stood at the edge of the high-water mark. The Baths were afterwards much enlarged by Mr. Norton. In 1825 a great part of the present Promenade consisted of a succession of sand hills, covered at intervals with a short green turf, hence the name of the Western Green: the Promenade as it now stands was not completed until 1844. All the rows of small houses at the back of Marine Terrace, and going further east-Coulson's Terrace, Coulson's Place and Buildings, have been built within the last fifty years
Cornwall Terrace has been built in three distinct blocks,-first in 1827 the small houses in the middle, then those nearer the sea, and lastly the upper part. The top house long stood detached, and on its garden about 1860 were erected the larger houses of Cornwall Terrace.
St Mary's Chapel Street
The name Penzance means 'holy headland' from the Cornish Pen Sans, probably because the chapel of St Mary in Chapel Street, first mentioned in 1327, was built on the ridge. A Spanish raid in 1595 burnt the town accounts records for the lack of very old buildings. This ecclesiastical parish was formally created in 1871 though it had long had its own chapel and had been registered since the new church was built in 1832 when it became separated from Madron parish. The architect, Charles Hutchens, being a native of St Buryan, a few miles west of Penzance. The Church replaced a chapel which had been on the same site, and when it was completed it was still actually a chapel as it came under the parish of Madron. St Mary's became a Parish Church with a Vicar of its own on 24 March 1871, the Bishop of Exeter being the patron, although he still had to consult the Vicar of Madron before he could appoint a priest.
Chapel Street Link
Created 1st July 1837.
Sub-districts : Merazion; Penzance; St. Buryan; St. Just in Penwith; St. Ives; Uny-Lelant.
GRO volumes : IX (1837-51); 5c (1852-1930).
Gulval, Ludgvan, Madron, Marazion, Morvah, Penzance, Perranuthnoe, St. Buryan, St. Erth, St. Hilary, St. Ives, St. Just in Penwith, St. Levan, St. Michael's Mount, St. Paul, Sancreed, Sennen, Towednack, Uny-Lelant, Wolfe Rock Lighthouse, Zennor.
The parish of Madron (or St Madern) is situated in the deanery of Penwith, and in the western division of the Hundred of Penwith. Named after an unknown saint, this parish is located north-west of Penzance with pleasant views across Mounts Bay and St Michaels Mount. It was formerly known as Madderne. It comprises two parts: the larger is bounded by Gulval to the north, to the east by the Borough of Penzance and the sea, to the south is Paul and Sancreed and on the west is Morvah. The lesser detached part is bounded on the east, south and west by Gulval and to the north by Zennor. Madron is not mentioned as such in the Domesday Survey of 1086; Madron Church, Tregwainton and Landithy were originally part of the Manor of Roseworthy in Gwinear. However the rest of the parish was taxed under the jurisdiction of the Manor of Alverton.
Its history goes back into the early middle ages. It possesses the mother church of Penzance and the famous holy well of St Madron, where it is claimed many miraculous cures took place. North of Madron is the prehistoric holed stone known as Men-an-Tol, also believed to have had the power of healing. Naked children suffering from rickets were passed through the hole three times in the hope of restoring their health.
Anglican. The Parish Church is located in OS Grid Square SW4531; it is dedicated to St Madernus (or Madderne).
A church had been here since the earliest of times. In 1203 Thomas de Chimelly had been appointed to the benefice of Madron for life. In 1309 the Knights Templar had turned the living of Madron from a rectory to a vicarage, which it has remained ever since. This arrangement allowed the church taxes to go to the Order. This income was used for their work in helping pilgrims and building Hospitals. The church remained with the Order until 1540 when it was supressed and its possessions confiscated by Henry VIII.
A new church was begun about this time, and the church building was consecrated on July 10th 1336 by the Bishop of Exeter. However it was not finished before 1500. It comprises a chancel, nave, and north and south aisle. In the base are 3 funeral hatchments: two of which are of the Borlase and Price families. The arcades each have six arches; those in the north are four-centred, those in the south are pointed. The material in both arcades and pillars of of Caen stone.
The tower is in two stages, the second resting on a corbel table. It is finished with battlements and pinnacles; it contains five bells; these bells were refurbished and rehung in 2005
THE NAME CHILDS IN THE DOOMSDAY BOOK
An English writer, Morgan in his ' England Under the Normans', page 135 says that "there are several persons in the Doomsday book bearing the surname or title of Child". The Book of Doomsday was begun by five justices in the year 1081 and finished in 1086. Members of the Child family were connected with King Henry IIIs conquest of Ireland and its government in the twelfth century. Other family members settled at Shrewsbury and Pool-Court, Pennock and Northwick in the county of Worcester. Bearers of the old and distinguished Child name make up a small fraction of the population, although there are a number who have established for it a significant place in history. They include: William Childs (Child) (1607-1697) English musical composer whose works are recorded in "Biography universal Des Musicians." Sir Josiah Childs (Child) (1630-1699) English merchant and eminent writer on commerce and political economy. He became very wealthy and was one of the Owners/Directors of the East India Company. In 1668 he published "Observations Concerning Trade and the Interest of Money," which he argues that the rates of interest should be kept low by legal restrictions. George W. Childs, American publisher (1829-1894), who was distinguished for his liberality and enterprise. In 1849 he became a member of Childs and Peterson. During 1864 he published Public Ledger. William Childs (b.1865) American restaurateur, who founded with his brother (1889) a restaurant chain bearing their name, and extending throughout the United States and Canada. Sir John Child of Surat, East Indies, Sir Josiah Child and Sir Frances Child of London were, perhaps, the most noteworthy and distinguished individuals of any bearing the name of Child. They raised themselves to importance, occupied prominent positions, both in public and private life, and became the founders of wealthy families in the last half of the 1600s. Sir John Child as a civic and military ruler, Sir Josiah Child a merchant, political economist and philanthropist, founder and president of the East Indies Company, and Sir Frances Child as a banker, goldsmith and sociologist, founder of Child & Co., one of the wealthiest if not the wealthiest bank of England. A Baldwin Childe and Robert LEnfant are mentioned in the Cartulary of St. Nicholas, Esquire. Robert LEnfant was Provost (officer in charge) of Shrewsbury during the reign of Henry III, 1509-1542. This man signed Robert LEnfant as a witness and Robert LeChilde on other documents. This could be the same Robert that received a legacy from Sir Robert Cook, near Bury, Suffolk in 1587. These men are most likely descendants of 1353 Thomas LeChilde of Northwick, Worcester . Other descendants of the family are: Samuel F. B. Morse, inventor of the telegraph; Eli Whitney inventor of the cotton gin; George Herbert Walker Bush, President of the United States and his son George W. Bush, also President of the United States; Frank W. Childs, inventor and entrepreneur; Norman C. Childs Sr., religious author and Bible scholar; Norman C. Childs, Jr. (Sonny) is a nationally known religious author and orator of the Word of God; Sandy Childs Rowlette entrepreneur.
Stephen Childs Chart
Chart donated by Paul Remfry does anyone have any information regarding Stephen Childs and whether there is a connection to our family ?
He married Jane Goodchild in 1781
My mother is the granddaughter of Selina Emma Childs and so much wants to find out about the grandmother she never knew and if anyone has any photographs of her as all the ones the family had of her were apparently destroyed by my great-grandfather's second wife. The photograph of Selina's family with my grandfather in the background. Paul
Back to top of page
<<< Previous Page
Next Page >>>
Email The Family