Email The Family
If you are connected to this family, do please
If you know of a family member, email them a link.
<<< Previous Page
Next Page >>>
From the late eighteenth century the areas of Dalmuir Glen and Dalmuir Shore were subject to industrial developments such as calico printworks, paper mills, and even soda manufacturing.
From Great Grandfather ( our research )
John Campbell wife Alice (???)
David b 16.07.1826 Ashton Under Lyne - David did not appear to marry
Thomas b 22.07.1827 Ashton Under Lyne Lancs (Christened St Michael's)
First wife of Thomas - Mary Ann McTaggart b Cheetham Hill - died 1861
Four children from this marriage Thomas, John Murray, Mary, Jessie
Second wife Hannah Ridings b 1830 Newton Heath Lancs
Four children - Lavinia, William Horatio, James, Bertha all born Newton Heath
note: (Horatio b 1805 was the name of Hannah Ridings' father - see separate page )
William Horatio our direct line b 14.01.1868 m Ada Cheadle b Pendleton Lancs
Both buried in St Michael's Pembroke
Four children Colin Garrett, Francis Hannah, Ronald, Emily Mary
Colin Garrett our direct line b 12.11.1902 m Phyllis Dulcie Clague (b Jersey later Isle of Man)
Four children Ian, Heather, Lorna, Lesley and Jean
St Michael's Church Ashton Under Lyne
The following updated information kindly supplied by Jackie Weaver a
descendant of Samuel Campbell
Samuel Campbell and Katharine Campbell had the following children:
2. i. JOHN CAMPBELL was born on 05 Jan 1790 in Dalmuire, Old Kilpatrick, Dunbarton,
Scotland1. He died between 1841-1851. He married ALICE HEAP on 31 Mar 1811 in
Cathedral, Manchester, daughter of James Heap and Mary. She was born on 05
Sep 1790 in Droylesden, Lancs. She died in 1869 in Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancs
ii. SAMUEL CAMPBELL was born on 27 May 1792 in Dalmuire, Old Kilpatrick,
iii. MARY CAMPBELL
John Campbell, b 1790 in Old Kirkpatrick, Dunbartonshire, Scotland, son of Samuel and Katherine
· Married Alice Heap( b 1790 in Droylesden, Lancs, daughter of James and Mary), 31 March 1811 in Cathedral, Manchester
· They had 7 children (all christened in St Michaels, Ashton Under Lyne):
o Samuel (5.8.1811)
o Mary (25.9.1814)
o Janet (18.5.1819)
o Nancy (11.8.1822)
o David (16.7.1826)
o Thomas (22.7.1827)
o Alice (5.9.1830)
· John Campbell was listed as a dyer on the 1841 marriage record of daughter Nancy to Thomas Armstrong (St Peter, Bolton) and as a labourer on the 1841 census (attached), then living with wife and two youngest children, Thomas and Alice, and next door to Nancy and Thomas).
THOMAS3 CAMPBELL (John, Samuel) was born on 22 Jul 1827 in Ashton-under-Lyne, Lancs. He
married (1) MARY ANN TAGGART on 29 Jan 1851 in Manchester. He married (2) HANNAH RIDINGS
in 1863 in Manchester
Thomas Campbell and Mary Ann Taggart had the following children:
i. THOMAS4 CAMPBELL was born on 07 Sep 1851 in Manchester.
ii. JOHN MURRAY CAMPBELL was born on 02 Jul 1853 in Manchester
iii. MARY ALICE CAMPBELL was born in Jun 1855 in Manchester.
· Samuel (my direct line), was a paper stainer. He married Mary Ann Proctor (b 1812 in Colchester, Essex) in 1831 (Eccles Parish Church).
· They then moved to Milngavie in Scotland (then in the parish of New Kilpatrick, close to where John Campbell was born, and with several Campbells still living there). Six of their seven children were born in Milngavie.
· By 1850 the family had moved to London, where their seventh child was born, and Samuel continued working as a paper stainer.
· Between 1861 and 1871 Samuel apparently fell on hard times (or became tired of his wife ), and moved North again, leaving his wife and family in London.
· It seems very likely that he was given work by his brother Thomas (your ancestor) as he was living close to him at both the 1871 census (Oldham Road, Newton Heath) and the 1881 census (Chinley).
Samuel died in 1888 (registration district Prestwich, Lancs, dont know exactly where). Mary Ann stayed in London with the rest of the family, and died of bronchitis in Whitechapel Infirmary in 1893.
I'm currently trying to find out more about the Campbells Scottish roots, and also getting more detail about the Lancashire Campbells and Heaps.
See comprehensive tree as provided by Jackie
NEWTON HEATH - where many of the family were born.
Newton Heath takes its name, self-evidently, from old English meaning "the new town on the heath". The heath in question stretched originally from Miles Platting to Failsworth, and is bordered by brooks and rivers on all four sides - the River Medlock, Moston Brook, Newton Brook and Shooters Brook. Locally the district is simply referred to as Newton. There was also a "detached" area known as Kirkmanshulme which formed part of the district - Belle Vue stands on that land, which is now only remembered in Kirkmanshulme Lane which borders it. The district was incorporated into the City of Manchester in 1890.
The Rochdale Canal made movement of raw materials and finished products a practical reality. Later came other industries, including a soap works, a match manufacturing factory and rope works as well as engineering and glass making works. A multitude of small back-to-back low cost houses had to be constructed to house the new migrant work force. Thus was Newton changed irrevocably from a farming community into an industrialised one.
The 18th century saw Oldham Road turnpiked and a toll bar installed at Lambs Lane - this road still forms the main artery through the district. By the beginning of the 19th century, the Rochdale Canal had been constructed and this brought industrialisation to the district, and the former farming settlement was thus hastened into the Industrial Revolution and creeping urbanisation. The 19th century saw the local population increase nearly 20 fold.
Newton Heath is about three miles north-east of the city centre. It is on the south side of Oldham Road, from Ten Acre Lane at the city centre end, to the border with Oldham borough, just past Droyslden Road. Oldham Road is a major route into Manchester from Lancashire, so transport links are excellent today
An interesting website on Victorian Industrial Manchester
click to view
Oldam Road c 1900
Hannah Campbell did not appear with her family on the 1881 Census as she was visiting her father Horatio aged 75 yrs a widower at 294 Oldham Road Newton Heath. The Campbells used to live at number 416.
On the 1901 Census Hannah was living at no 29 Warbrick Road St Pauls Blackpool a widow aged 72 with Bertha and Lavinia. She was living on her 'own account' and was the householder.
Hannah died in 1914 and was buried at Bispham. Her daughters Lavinia and Bertha were also buried at Bispham
BISPHAM, a township and a parish in Fylde district, Lancashire. The township bears the name of Bispham-with-Norbreck; lies on the coast, and on the Blackpool railway, 1½ mile N of Blackpool; and has a post office of Bispham under Preston, and a r. station. Acres, 2,624; of which 985 are water. Real property, £3,307. Pop., 437. Houses, 88. The parish includes also the township of Layton-with-Warbreck: which contains the town of Blackpool and the village of Southshore. Acres, 5,865; of which 1,825 are water. Real property, £20,553. Pop., 4,344. Houses, 849. The property is much subdivided. The living is a vicarage in the diocese of Manchester. Value £235.* Patron, the Rev.Hesketh. The church is modern The chapelries of Blackpool and Southshore are separate benefices. There are an Independent chapel and a free school.
John Marius Wilson, Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales (1870-72)
Thomas Campbell died in Darby Road Blackpool.
In 1881 the family were living in Bridgeholm Green, Chinley Bugsworth and Brownside Derbs
CHINLEY, BUGSWORTH and BROWNSIDE form a township in the ancient parish of Glossop (the three places being united for poor rates, but separate for the repair of highways), in the High Peak division of the county, High Peak hundred and Chapel-en-le-Frith petty sessional division, union and county court district.
Hannah Ridings' brother
Any further information on John and Alice Campbell (if we have the right ones) greatly appreciated
Another mystery is what happened to the Paper Staining works between 1881 and 1891?
On the 1891 Census the family had moved to Waterside, Disley Knutsford Chester and Thomas and his son William were 'just' paper stainers.
On the 1901 Census William had married Ada and the couple had moved to a shared house in Barrow in Furness where he was an engine fitter. From Barrow the couple moved to Pembroke and later to Gillingham in Kent near the Docks.
Copies of Census sheets available on request.
In 1891 Thomas was living in Disley and no longer owned a Paper Staining factory.
The village of Disley is situated on the main A6 trunk road from Stockport to Buxton on the edge of the boundary between Greater Manchester and the High Peak district of Derbyshire. The village was not mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086, but its history can be traced back to a time when it was merely a clearing in the ancient Forest of Macclesfield. The town's most important buildings include the parish church of St Mary, dated from around 1558 and the Ram's Head pub, an old Victorian coaching inn, built in a Tudor style, still complete with outer stables, on the corner of the old Roman Road over higher Disley. The village itself is an attractive stone built affair strung along the A6 highway, with a direct railway link to Buxton and Manchester, as well as being almost invisibly bypassed by the Upper Peak Forest Canal on its way to Bugsworth and the terminus at Whaley bridge..
View 1891 Disley Census
The aqueduct at Barton Upon Irwell
William Horatio Campbell was boarding with his wife Ada in Barrow in Furness on the 1901 Census, son Colin was born in Barton Upon Irwell on 12.11.1902
BARTON UPON IRWELL 19th Century description
Barton-Upon-Irwell, so styled from the river Irwell, on which it is located, is a populous township about one mile to the west of Eccles, and about five from Manchester. It possesses several manufactures, to the increase of which its proximity to the Manchester and Liverpool Railway and Bridgewater Canal, have materially contributed. The facilities of passenger traffic offered by the former have induced several of the opulent classes of Manchester to reside here, and this has tended materially to improve the township. The Bridgewater Canal crosses the Irwell by a noble aqueduct a splendid triumph of Brindleys genius and the first of the kind ever constructed in this country. There is a beautiful new Church dedicated to St. Catharine; and spacious chapels of various denominations. Immediately adjoining Barton is the hamlet, or so to speak more graphically, the village of Patricroft, where the extensive iron works of Messrs. Nasmyth, Gaskell & Co. are situated who have acquired a world-wide celebrity by their contributions to mechanical science and engineering. Here also her Majesty, on her recent visit, embarked and debarked from Worsley; accompanied with such demonstrations of loyalty and welcome as will not be forgotten by "the oldest inhabitant." The population of the township in 1851 amounted to 7,936, of which 3,193 reside in the village of Barton.
Manchester Ship Canal at Barton Upon Irwell today
Colin Garrett Campbell lived in Glais, Clydach in the Swansea Valley in the 1920's There were chemical works and copper smelting there.....
The village of Glais, near Swansea, takes its name from the stream which flows into the River Tawe above the bridge one crosses on entering the village from Clydach. The word Glais is one which has a similar meaning in both Welsh and Gaelic, like so many other words coming from the ancient Goidelic tongues - in Welsh it can mean stream (an old Welsh speaker might pronounce it Glaish) - in Irish Clais means a channel or furrow.
In 1717 the first copper smelting works had been established on the banks of the river Tawe by Dr John Lane with his relative John Pollard. They set up the Llangevelach Works at Landore on ground subsequently covered by the Turnpike road to Neath. In 1726 the business failed and the works went into receivership until it re-emerged as Lockwood, Morris and Co.
A description dating from 1834 has it that the works had consisted of four large circular constructions. On the outside of the circular walls had been fireplaces, with the furnaces within them arranged in such a way that whatever was going on was concealed from view.
A reason for the concentration of the steel and tinplate industries on the seaboard was the heavy importation of the richer ores of Spain and other countries, bringing these heavy industries in close proximity to tidal waters.
An equally important reason for localisation was the presence of chemical industries in the region. The smelting of copper in the area had started one or two important side-industries, one of those being the manufacture of sulphuric acid. Large amounts of this acid are used in tinplate manufacture, and it could therefore be obtained at a relatively cheap rate. One other vital factor was the availability of fresh water. Water is indispensable to the tinplate industry, and in this region there are abundant supplies from rivers and artificial reservoirs. Finally, advantageous road and rail transport to the ports for export, and to the Midlands and London, where sheet, blackplates, and terneplates are largely used, is another advantage.
Between 1920 and 1930 the steel and tinplate industry had to face serious competition with foreign countries, such as Belgium, France, and Germany, who exported steel bars at 15s per ton less than Welsh steel bars. Foreign bars have literally been 'dumped' into Welsh ports and large quantities have been used by tinplate manufacturers.
Various relevant photos - please send in more !
Isle of Man Dulcie Clague's birth place
Pembroke Dock Waterfront - old print
When he was a child Ian says there were sheer legs like this at Hobbs Point Pembroke Dock
The Campbells in Pembrokeshire
John Campbell 1 inherited the Stackpole Estate in 1714 at the age of nineteen, he made it his principal residence in 1727 when he entered Parliament as MP for Pembrokeshire. The previous year he married Mary Pryse of Goggerddan, Cardinganshire. The sale of far flung estates in Argyll and the Isle of Islay enabled him to work on Cawdor Castle in Nairn and to rebuild Stackpole as an elegant Palladian mansion with stable yard, walled garden, a wilderness and a hanging garden. He went on to become a Lord of the Admiralty and of the Treasury.
The second John Campbell inherits the Scottish and Welsh estates on his grandfather's death in 1777.
John Frederick Campbell married Lady Elizabeth Thynne, daughter of the Marquis of Bath. Work was carried out on Stackpole Court between 1839 and 1844 concealing the simplicity of the Palladian house within great enlargements. John Frederick was created Earl of Cawdor in 1827 he died in 1860.
John Frederick Vaughan Campbell the second earl served as MP for Pembrokeshire from 1841 to 1860. He brought about many agricultural improvements and built the dam at Broad Haven, creating the famous Lily Ponds. He died in 1898.
In 1938-1939 the War Office appropitrd almost three quaters of the Stackpole estate which Lord Cawdor tried hard to prevent and which displaced scores of families.
Jack Cawdor made over the Welsh estates to his son on his 21st birthday in 1953. In 1963 Stackpole Court was demolished.
Ian with his grandfather had the run of the estate for fishing etc
In the 1930s and 40s when Ian and family visited the big house he was sent off round the two walled gardens in the care of a maid and fed the exotic fruits from the hot houses.
It's now Mencap Gardens where the disabled do the gardening under supervision with the help of volunteers. The produce is sold to the public. In season you can also pick your own soft fruit
The Isle of Skomer
This building used to be two cottages, they were tenanted by fishermen and to them on many occasions expectant mothers from the islands came for their confinements.
Ian and Thalia spent many a happy holiday camping on the island which is now uninhabited.
Ian and I went to Skomer twice... once before we had children when we helped Professor
Jewell from Cambridge do a study of the Skomer vole and other wild life .I
did some paintings of the island of which he purchased two 1 A view from the highest point on the island and 2 a still life in the farmhouse kitchen. the still life is in his widows attic and I have no idea where the landsacpe is ...In a college? The second time with toddler angus and 7 month baby Tom...Thalia
Alf the boatman by Ian 1961
Back to top of page
<<< Previous Page
Next Page >>>
Email The Family